Stay Active & Engaged
As you stay safe and at home, check in with us to find ways to keep fit, informed and connected. From workouts with our fitness instructors to tips from our social workers, you’ll find a range of activities to keep yourself active and engaged.
At-Home Workout with Our Fitness Instructor
Exercise is the one anti-aging medicine that all doctors agree on. Stay active with this easy-to-follow workout with Leslie LaPlace, Fitness Manager at Goodwin House Alexandria, whose motto is “Exercise! It does a body good!”
Our Social Workers Offer Insights to Help You Through Difficult Times
We recognize the wisdom and support that so many social workers around the country provide. Especially during challenging times like these, social workers are there to offer resources and advice to those who may be struggling. We asked a few of our social workers for their advice on staying healthy and engaged during this period of uncertainty.
Staying Nourished, Fit & Engaged During the Pandemic
This guide offers a ton of resources: grocery delivery options, an at-home exercise routine, sites where you can find music, television, books to enjoy at home, and so much more. Discover sources to help you stay nourished, fit and engaged during the pandemic.
Living Our Best Lives While Socially Distancing
Many have started to think we need a new term for “social distancing” because we can all stay social even while staying home. Explore ways you can live your best life and engage in new and different ways while keeping yourself safe and at home.
StrongerMemory: Fighting Cognitive Decline
Goodwin Living President & CEO Rob Liebreich designed the StrongerMemory program to help people with mild cognitive impairment or early signs of dementia, but anyone can use these resources to keep their brain sharp! StrongerMemory involves the three practices: simple math done quickly, reading out loud and writing longhand. Learn about the program and try out some of the packets we’ve posted in our blog!
Worry Less & Breathe More in Today’s Market
As the world started to face the stark realities of the COVID-19 pandemic in March, we faced more than just a public health concern. The novel coronavirus was clearly affecting international economies and markets, and the U.S. economy was not immune. What can we learn from the past that will help us secure our future? Learn how you can survive and thrive, even through a bear market.
Get Your Game On!
“Gaming” is quite the phenomenon these days. A study by the Entertainment Software Association found that nearly two-thirds of U.S. households include someone who regularly plays video games. But what might surprise you is in a 2016 study by AARP and the Entertainment Software Association, 38% of Americans ages 50 and older said they play video games. Apparently, Boomers are also blasting bad guys, building Fortnight fortresses and bowling the lanes of Wii Sports. Before you dismiss game playing as a waste of time, research is now showing it’s far from mindless.
Webinars You Can Watch Now
Over the past several months, Goodwin Living at Home and the Goodwin Living Life Plan Communities have hosted a number of informative and engaging webinars. Here are some of our favorites.
- Staying Well This Fall and Winter (October 20, 2020 – 1 hour) Goodwin Living Medical Director Dr. Maggie Gloria shared updates and recommendations on ways you can remain safe, healthy and engaged as we enter flu season. You will learn virus prevention measures, progress on vaccines and how to maintain the dimensions of wellness amidst social distancing guidelines.
- Life with Goodwin Living: Staying Safe, Secure, and Engaged during COVID-19 (November 2020 – 1 hour) When you consider a move to a senior living community, you want to know your new home is physically safe and financially secure. You also want to know you have events and activities designed to keep you active and engaged. Hear how the top Goodwin Living Inc. leaders are ensuring safety and security of residents, staff and our greater community of Northern Virginia.
- Community Living or Age in Place: Get the Best of Both Worlds with Goodwin Living (October 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Whether you prefer community living or aging in place, you may be considering Goodwin Living as your partner in aging. If you choose us as your partner, we want to be sure you are getting the most out of our relationship. Find out how you can get the best of both worlds with Goodwin Living—age in place now and become a resident in the future, all with the same peace of mind!
- Advance Care Planning (July 1, 2020 – 50 minutes) Learn about Advance Care Planning from this discussion led by Nathan Kottcamp and Dr. Farrah Daly. Mr. Kottkamp is a Partner at Waller Law Firm and Founder and Chair of National Healthcare Decisions Day. Dr. Daly is a neurologist and consultant to Goodwin Hospice and Palliative Care.
- Q&A with Mr. Kottkamp & Dr. Daly: By popular request, we have prepared this written version of the Q&A with Mr. Kottkamp and Dr. Daly that took place this webinar.
- Stay Healthy and Fit at Home (June 24, 2020 – 1 hour) Learn about the four components of fitness – Strength, Coordination, Flexibility, and Balance – from Goodwin Living Fitness Managers Leslie LaPlace and Sherry Compton. In this demonstration-style webinar, Leslie and Sherry shared creative ways to incorporate exercises, you can do at home, to improve all four fitness components.
- Taming the Bear: Worry Less and Breathe More in Today’s Market (May 7, 2020 – 55 minutes) Learn about perspective and planning to navigate bear markets with strategy and peace of mind. Financial experts Laurie Blackburn, Senior Vice President of Wells Fargo Investments, and Kelly Campbell, Chairman and CEO of Campbell Wealth Management, shared their insights and historical analysis and fielded audience questions in this content-rich webinar.
- Decluttering and Downsizing (July 7, 2020 – 1 hour) Whether you are aging in place in your home or planning to move into a life plan community, decluttering your home leads to a safer and less stressful environment. Eileen Spata, Sales Director and Client Experience Manager at Wayforth and respected expert in decluttering and downsizing, shared her tips and tricks make the process manageable in a demonstration-based webinar. Eileen also fielded audience questions about organizing, donating, and selling personal items.
- How to Stay Safe through Re-Opening (July 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Gain the most up to date facts on staying safe as Northern Virginia has moved into Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan. Dr. Maggie Gloria, Medical Director of Goodwin Hospice, shared the most recent research on COVID-19 testing, treatments, vaccine trials and affirmation of the most effective practices to staying safe and fielded a range of questions on specific infection precaution practices – from the best masks to use to having family visit in your home to taking walks with friends. In addition, Lindsay Hutter, Goodwin Living Incorporated Chief Strategy & Marketing Officer, provided an update on Goodwin Living’s infection precaution protocols.
- Financing Your New Future (July 28, 2020 – 1 hour) Learn about the importance of planning for your future. Leading experts Howard Gleckman and Tom West shared their insights and knowledge about the future for accessibility and affordability of health care as we age. Howard and Tom are sought-after speakers who contribute regularly to national periodicals and news media.
- Staying Safe: Summer Re-Opening & Fall and Winter Planning (April 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Dr. Margaret Gloria, Goodwin Hospice Medical Director, reports on what we can expect during the peak and precaution efforts that are important to maintain. Following Dr. Gloria’s medical presentation, Goodwin Living Director of Clinical Pastoral Education Liz Pomerleau shares information on ways we can maintain our emotional and mental health during this time of grief and emotional upheaval.